The latest in a continuing series of events chronicled here and here and here.
Nine of Sweden's 10 nuclear reactors back online
October 25, 2006
- Nine of Sweden's 10 nuclear reactors, including four that were taken offline last July over flaws in their backup systems, were Wednesday back online, according to the state Nuclear Power Inspectorate.
- The decision to take the reactors offline was made after one of the four reactors at Forsmark, north of Stockholm, shut down late July after a short circuit in a switchyard outside the plant.
- When the reactor shut down, two of four emergency generators failed to start. Several other systems partly malfunctioned, sparking a debate over nuclear safety although the nuclear watchdog SKI said the incident did not harm the reactor.
- Operators of the Forsmark plant have been ordered by SKI to present daily reports of operations as part of tightened security measures, and on Tuesday restarted the last of their reactors that was offline.
- One reactor at the Oskarshamn plant in south-eastern Sweden would remain shut down till the end of the year as part of planned overhaul…