Fantastic opportunity to observe how this process works!
Czech Republic will sue EU over cuts in carbon emissions limits
May 25, 2007 (International Herald Tribune via Budapest Business Journal)
The Czech Republic’s Industry and Trade Ministry, Tomas Bartovsky, spokesman; the European Union
The Czech Republic will sue the EU for setting its CO2 emission allowances below its request.
- Decision and announcement May 25.
- Contention is over 2008-2012 CO2 caps.
- 2005 emissions: 82.5 million metric tons
- 2006 emissions: 83.7 million metric tons
The Czech Republic is in eastern Europe’s Balkan region. (See Map)
Where (click to enlarge)
- The EU’s Commission set the Czech Republic’s annual CO2 emissions cap at 86.6 million metric tons, 14.8% lower than the 102 million requested.
- Czech argument: The EU underestimated growth, wrongly added in household and transportation emissions.
- The Czech government argues this will harm economic growth.
“The Czech Republic is the second EU nation after Slovakia to threaten court action over the emission plan.”