BIG LEAGUE BASEBALL-ONE, GREENHOUSE GAS EMISSIONS-ZERO
As anything that significantly impacts global climate change, these highly touted carbon-neutral events are almost offensively trivial. As PR events spreading awareness of the issue to people who might never otherwise consider them and places where they might not otherwise be heard, they are of incalculable value.
A certain percentage of boys who are now obsessed with baseball and oblivious to world events will grow up to be very concerned with politics, history and the environment. Take it from the personal experience of someone who learned the basics of racism from the life stories of Jackie Robinson and Pee Wee Reese.
click to enlarge
Rays, Marlins play carbon-neutral baseball game on eve of global climate summit in Miami
June 25, 2008 (AP via Yahoo Finance)
The Florida Marlins and Tampa Bay Rays; Charlie Crist, Governor, Florida; Carbonfund.org
On the eve of the opening of the Serve to Preserve Florida Summit on Global Climate Change, the Marlins and Rays played a carbon-neutral baseball game. The visiting Tampa Bay Rays beat the Florida Marlins, 6-4. J.P. Howell was the winning pitcher. Global Climate Change took the loss.
Good advice from one of the most widely respected offsetters. (click to enlarge)
- The carbon neutral Marlins/Rays game was June 24.
- The Serve to Preserve Florida Summit on Global Climate Change was June 25-26.
- The first carbon-neutral college football game was played in November 2007 between Florida State the University of Florida.
- Offsets were reforestation investments in projects across the U.S. Southeast.
- To create the first carbon neutral college football game, The University of Florida partnered with the Florida Forestry Association and Environmental Defense to offset the 1,750 metric ton carbon footprint of the Florida State-University of Florida.game by preserving 18 acres of rural North Florida land for use as a pine plantation forest for 10 years.
- The 440 metric tons (tonnes) of greenhouse gas emissions generated (fan/player travel, stadium operations, etc.) were offset by reforestation investments.
- Carbonfund.org oversaw the selection of offset investments.
- The first carbon neutral National Basketball Association (NBA) game was played between the New Jersey Nets and the Philadelphia 76ers in New Jersey in March.
Dolphins Stadium where the Rays and Marlins played against Global Climate Change June 24. (click to enlarge)
- Governor Crist, host, Serve to Preserve Florida Summit on Global Climate Change: "Florida continues to lead the way in addressing global climate change, from our businesses and government agencies to the popular professional sports teams that call our state home…I commend the Florida Marlins and Tampa Bay Rays for being good stewards of our environment."