SOLAR SHOW GOES GLOBAL
NewEnergyNews said it in the headline. The leaders of the solar energy industry will now explain the details.
Julia Hamm, executive director, SEPA and chair, Solar Power International 2008: “Over the past five years we have continually reshaped our event…This year we will welcome more international visitors than our event’s total attendance in 2004. We recognize the solar industry is defined by international exchange, and it remains our top priority to provide a comprehensive, business-to-business event that engages a worldwide audience [and] highlights global solar innovation...”
Rhone Resch, president, SEIA: “...[E]ven the smallest installer company is affected...this conference has become an essential event for global solar energy companies that want to do business in the thriving U.S. market. The strong influx of international attendees is an indication of America’s potential to attract investment, create more green-collar jobs and regain our leadership position.”
NewEnergyNews will be reporting from the conference on the exciting news expected from the opening days of the event.
click to enlarge
Solar Power International 2008
Solar Electric Power Association (SEPA); Solar Energy Industries Association (SEIA); Exhibitors (cell and module manufacturers, inverter and other component manufacturers, material and equipment manufacturers, installers, integrators, and investors); Attendees (solar industry insiders and outsiders; manufacturers, integrators and installers, large and small customers, architects and builders, and policymakers; 40% are CEOs, presidents and other executives; 79% make final decisions about company purchases); California Center for Sustainable Energy (CCSE)
OPENING PLENARY – TUESDAY, OCT. 14
Keynote: Robert Greifeld, Chief Executive Officer, The NASDAQ OMX Group
Keynote: General Wesley K. Clark, U.S. Army Ret. and former NATO Allied Supreme Commander Europe
CEO PANELS – WEDNESDAY, OCT. 15
Moderator: Adam Aston, BusinessWeek
Panel No. 1 – Market Development
Michael Ahearn, CEO, First Solar
Lyndon Rive, CEO, SolarCity
James Rogers, CEO, Duke Energy
Santiago Seage, CEO, Abengoa Solar
Panel No. 2 – Driving Down Costs
Matthew Cheney, CEO, MMA Renewable Ventures
Martin Heming, CEO, SCHOTT Solar GmbH
Anton Milner, CEO, Q-Cells
Jeannine Sargent, CEO, Oerlikon Solar
CLOSING PLENARY – THURSDAY, OCT. 16
Keynote: Rick Andreen, President, Shea Homes for Active Lifestyle Communities
Keynote: The Honorable Maria Cantwell, U.S. Senator (D-WA)
click to enlarge
Solar Power International 2008 (called Solar Power Conference and Expo in previous years), THE solar industry business to business trade show. And, CCSE’s annual Solar Energy Week.
- October 13 – 16, 2008
- October 12: CCSE’s Family Solar Day
- October 15: Show open to the public
- October 18: Tour of Solar Homes
- Created in 2004 as Solar Power Conference and Expo.
- 1,100 attendees at 2004 event, 12,500+ expected for the 2008 event
- San Diego Convention Center (111 West Harbor Drive, San Diego, CA 92101)
- Representatives of at least 70 countries expected.
- It is the biggest solar event in the Americas.
- Keynote speakers: diverse and distinguished, politicians, production homebuilders, global manufacturers, financial leaders.
- 60+ breakout sessions, 425 exhibitors, encompassing the complete range of solar energy technologies (photovoltaics, concentrating photovoltaics, concentrating solar power, solar hot water, space heating/cooling).
- Builders, taking a greater interest in solar energy systems than ever, will take a bigger part this year. The building sector is responsible for 70% of the U.S. use of electricity.
click for webcast
- General Wesley K. Clark, keynote speaker and supporter of Global Green USA's Climate Action Initiative to protect Coastal Cities: "Global warming's increasing threats to our communities and coastal cities along with our dependence on fossil fuel and foreign oil are all critical national security issues that are threatening America and the World…Solar power is one of the immediate solutions that can help us solve these challenges and put Americans to work building the sustainable, renewable energy future for our country. I'm looking forward to meeting the men and women who are charting this new course."
- Rick Andreen, keynote speaker and president, Shea Homes for Active Lifestyle Communities: “My company recognizes that energy efficient, solar-powered homes are a reality for today’s homebuyer and we are taking action…The continued growth of the solar industry and the rapid pace of innovation have made it easier and more affordable than ever to build a solar-powered home. Solar Power International ’08 provides me with the opportunity to discuss how to invigorate businesses in the building industry to join Shea on this front.”
- Ron Kenedi, vice president, Sharp Solar Energy Solutions Group (SESG) of Sharp Electronics Corp./Sharp Corp. U.S.:“The global solar industry increases in size and complexity with each passing year, and the organizers of Solar Power International have kept pace by expanding the conference program while retaining its quality and accessibility…The market for solar energy knows no borders, and Solar Power International continues to be an important event for us to engage with partners and customers from around the world. The event’s location in the heart of the American solar industry is especially significant because global companies like ours have recognized the growth potential of the U.S. market.”