There is so much in this life NOT in our hands, it is deeply gratifying when you stop and think about what you CAN do.
Reducing your carbon footprint: For everything you already do and for everything you decide to do on this list, YOUR CHILDREN AND GRANDCHILDREN THANK YOU:
*Things...you can do immediately. The items in this list will cost you no money at all and will in fact save you money.
- Sign up to a green energy supplier, who will supply electricity from renewable sources (e.g. wind and hydroelectric power) - this will reduce your carbon footprint contribution from electricity to zero
- Turn it off when not in use (lights, television, DVD player, Hi Fi, computer etc. etc. ...) - Turn down the central heating slightly (try just 1 to 2 degrees C)
- Turn down the water heating setting (just 2 degrees will make a significant saving)
- Check the central heating timer setting - remember there is no point heating the house after you have left for work
- Fill your dish washer and washing machine with a full load - this will save you water, electricity, and washing powder
- Fill the kettle with only as much water as you need
- Unplug your mobile phone as soon as it has finished charging
- Defrost your fridge/freezer regularly
- Do your weekly shopping in a single trip
- Hang out the washing to dry rather than tumble drying it
- Go for a run rather than drive to the gym
There are lists of things that take an initial investment but pay for themselves in energy bills savings (like energy saving light bulbs) and things to do on vacation (like renting a bike instead of a car) and things you can do at work (like not printing unnecessary documents) at CarbonFootprint.com.