TODAY’S STUDY: The Wind Boom Right Now
U.S. Wind Industry Third Quarter 2016 Market Report
October 20, 2016 (American Wind Energy Association)
The U.S. wind industry installed 895 megawatts (MW) during the third quarter of 2016, bringing year-to-date installations to 1,725 MW. The U.S. now has an installed capacity of 75,716 MW.
Project developers reported over 20,000 MW of wind capacity under construction or in advanced development, with more than 3,700 MW of new announcements made during the third quarter. There are now 13,563 MW under construction and 6,717 MW in advanced development.
Nearly 3,200 MW of power purchase agreements (PPA) have been signed since the beginning of 2016.
2016 Wind Project Installations
• The U.S. wind industry installed 895 MW of wind capacity during the third quarter of 2016, bringing year-to-date installations to 1,725 MW.
• The industry installed 390 wind turbines across seven states during the third quarter. Texas led the country with 620 MW of wind capacity installed, becoming the first state to surpass 18,000 MW of installed wind capacity.
• Wind projects were also commissioned in Minnesota (200 MW), Maine (43 MW), Rhode Island (12 MW), Oregon (10 MW), Massachusetts (8 MW), and Utah (2 MW).
• There are now 75,716 MW of installed wind capacity in the United States, with more than 49,000 wind turbines operating in 40 states, plus Guam and Puerto Rico.
• GE Renewable Energy and Vestas installed a combined 98% of the 895 MW commissioned during the third quarter.
Wind Capacity Under Construction or in Advanced Development
• Project developers reported 13,563 MW under construction and 6,717 MW in advanced development, a combined 20,280 MW of wind capacity.
• Since the beginning of 2016, combined under construction and advanced development capacity has averaged 15% growth quarter over quarter.
• Project developers reported 2,501 MW in new construction announcements. Texas led the nation with 895 MW in new announcements.
• The industry also reported 1,216 MW in new advanced development announcements, including Alliant Energy’s planned 500 MW Whispering Willow expansion in Iowa.
Strong Power Purchaser Activity
• Project developers signed 729 MW of PPAs during the third quarter, including 458 MW signed by corporate and other emerging customers of wind. For the year, non-utility purchasers represent 33% of total project capacity contracted.
• The 3,193 MW in year-to-date signed PPAs represent a 39% increase in activity compared to the same time period last year.
• 20 electric utilities released wind-eligible requests for proposals (RFPs) year-to-date, with nine RFPs released specifically for wind energy capacity. Three open RFPs are currently seeking up to 1,800 MW of wind capacity